Classic Water Treatments according to Sebastian Kneipp
From “Richtig Kneippen” by Ines Wurm-Fenkl & Doris Fischer
Cold Arm Bath
- Ideally late morning or early afternoon
- Fill wash basin with cold water (54° - 65°F / 12 - 18°C)
- Immerse your arms until sensation of cold becomes noticeable (approx. 30-40 seconds)
- Keep breathing deeply and regularly
- Take arms out of wash-bowl and wipe water softly off your arms
- Warm arms by putting on clothes or moving around
Strengthens body's defenses, stimulates circulation, improves blood circulation of myocardial muscle, refreshes in times of weariness and tiredness, soothes elbow pain.
Caution: Never taken an arm-baths when hands are already cold!
- Make sure your feet are warm before trying this treatment
- Starting with your right leg, spread water jet on the outer side upwards (starting at your ankle) and over hollow of the knee. Remain here for 2-3 seconds. Repeat the same just on front of leg and over knee.
- Execute knee-affusion on left leg
- To finish, flush both soles of your feet
- Make sure to get warm after treatment
Strengthens body's defenses especially of pelvic organs, increased circulation of skin and muscles, decrease of blood pressure, helps calm down, promotes a sound night's sleep.
Caution when suffering kidney and bladder infections!
- Fill tub or large bucket knee-deep with cold water
- Make sure your feet are warm
- March like a stork until sensation of cold appears (after 1-2 minutes)
- Warm up afterwards (put on socks, move around)
Strengthens the immune system (inurement), helps refresh tired legs, helps with headaches, helps with high blood pressure, helps calm down, promotes a sound night's sleep.
Use this treatment with caution when suffering acute bladder and kidney diseases or acute alvus infections
Cold Leg Compress
- Wet linen cloth (water temperature 65°F / 18°C), wring out slightly, wrap around calf smoothly; cover with large cotton cloth and top off with small wool cloth.
- Rest for 15-20 minutes, If fever is present, change compress as soon as it feels warm
Cools off skin, helps with high blood pressure, soothes venous inflammation, helps with bruises, helps when feeling nervous, promotes falling asleep and a sound night's sleep.